and this is...

FOR COLORED GIRLS WHO'VE CONSIDERED TRAVEL...WHEN THE U.S. WASN'T ENUF

Monday, September 3, 2012

Lessons in Breathing: Visa in Hand and Apartment Hunt On

So, I finally have my visa in hand (I picked it up on the 27th as scheduled) and now I have exactly 2 weeks before I hop a plane to start my new adventure on the other side of the world.

In the interest of keeping up with how this process truly goes, I feel I must talk about this apartment hunt situation....


((insert heaving sigh here))


So, bright side first: I  have found what I believe are two really awesome roommates that I am genuinely excited about living with. They are both people that are not exactly fresh out of college, so their mindset is a bit closer to mine. You know, ready to party 'til our geriatric bones fall apart but still understanding how to show up for a job and make sure household needs are tended to...So we should be able to kick up some awesome/insane stories together...

Less shiny side: We found a great place that was basically a guaranteed piso for the three of us (a past assistant was moving from her place and offered it out--this is definitely a route that future assistants should try...don't be shy...ask around). There were a few issues with the place, but overall it was basically perfect for us. However, we found another place that seemed as though it would accommodate us a bit better and was in just as nice of an area. We decided to go for it. 

Long story short: The original place was rented out, the new place bailed out from us and decided not to rent the place anymore, we may be living under a bridge in two weeks...

Just kidding, I'm sure we will work it out, but I am sure we will be far more discerning in the future.

Lesson learned: The grass is not greener. In fact it is nothing but crappy 70's plastic carpet grass. Keep the real thing...plants will like you better for it.


So, even as we speak, I am emailing every piso I see advertised anywhere and hopefully soon I will have better news to share.

This hiccup, in the grand scheme of things, is really minor and I realized a while ago that after the glow of excitement wanes and the real process begins, there is bound to be the Murphy's Law phase. I'm there now I guess. I also know that, while trying to move to another country, if I let every setback and upset wind me all up, I will be a crazy person before I even get my first paycheck.

So I am learning to breathe through these moments...maybe this is one of the things I need to learn before coming back to the States anyhow...

Have you attempted to find housing overseas? Any horror stories? 


Wish me luck guys!!

¡Hasta Pronto!
XOXO


4 comments:

  1. Hello!

    I've enjoyed reading your blog. My name is Jordanna and I am actually thinking about applying to the same program your in, but for next year. It's nice to know that there are people in the program such as yourself who aren't necesarily right out of college. I myself have been in the working world for about 5 years now as well.

    I lived in Argentina for 4 months last year, so I've also been through some similar challenges to say the least as yourself. haha. Don't worry though, it will get better! They will make for great table topic converstations when you get back to the United States. :) I'm curious to know though, how was your spanish before you left? I learned quite a bit of spanish in Argentina, but I sometimes feel that I forgot a lot of it, which makes me a little nervous about going to Spain and having to set up my own housing. Even though I went to Argentina by myself and knew no one there, the school I went to set up all my housing and what not which helped me a lot. Still though, I have some concerns. Anyways, I hope all goes well and I look forward to reading more of your blog!

    Jordanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely go for it! So far, it has been a great experience.

    It has been getting better...just some funny little bumps along the way. My spanish was really basic (and still is) but I have already begun to see some improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're out and about doing your thing! Big love and hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! I look forward to reading more about your journey.

    ReplyDelete